A Central Location for Robert's Blog Posts

Friday, September 4, 2015

Ending Racism by Reforming Education

On March 25, 2015 I sent a letter to the editor of a news flyer produced by an advocacy group identified as African-American.  I never got a reply.  Here is an excerpt of what I sent.
= = = = =
If every poor child in America could have the quality education I had, matters would improve dramatically for those children.  Instead, half the teachers I meet seem to be incompetent or worse.  I have personally encountered science teachers who do not know the subject matter they teach.  History textbooks place more emphasis on Marilyn Monroe than on giving children an appreciation of the sacrifices made for them in generations past.  I could go on and on about this.

Nor would this [reform] require the ever increasing funding that unions and politicians demand.  We did not have desk-top computers when I was being educated.  We had books and blackboards.  Discipline was vital.  Many inner city classrooms are continually disrupted by unruly students, and many poor children are afraid to go to school for fear of violence.

If every parent could have control over their child’s education, if parents could fire incompetent teachers, and hire good ones, that alone would shake up the system to the benefit of all.

This can be done.  But it will not happen until millions of African-American parents realize that their children are being cheated out of a proper education.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment